Community Garden Project Assistant – Youth Position
Position Title: Community Garden Project Assistant – Youth Position
Hours: 35 hours / week
Starting Date:. to be determined
Rate of Pay: $16 - $18/hr (depending on experience)
Cranbrook Food Action Committee identifies food insecurity as an important health issue in Cranbrook.
Our vision is to have all residents of Cranbrook involved and well-informed on the value and need of a healthy, sustainable, local food supply that is respectfully accessible, safe, healthy, and available to all. We are seeking a keen and motivated individual to help facilitate community members grow food at the Cranbrook Public Produce Garden. The Garden is always unlocked (although there is a fence to keep the deer out!) and welcomes everyone in the community to come and take part in the life of a local food garden. From seeding to weeding to harvesting, all tasks are considered equal in this communally managed space.
The successful candidate:
1. Oversee Garden needs
- determine and purchase supplies, seeds, and equipment
- organize garden work and provide a list of tasks to be accomplished
- create planting schedule and garden map
- encourage, support and aid community members to grow and harvest
2. Conduct Virtual Public Outreach
- engage with community members and community groups online
- write newsletters, new paper articles, social media posts
3. Support Community Food Security Projects
- assist with the operations of the Cranbrook Food Action Committee
- aid food recovery project employees and food literacy project facilitator
Skills and Experience:
❖ An interest in horticulture, agriculture, community health, education or social service is required.
❖ Knowledge or interest of current research and practices in food security, food systems or food growing.
❖ Experience and/or working knowledge of planting and harvesting.
❖ Demonstrated experience working productively and cooperatively both with minimal supervision and with a team.
❖ Problem solving, critical thinking and decision-making skills.
❖ Great oral communication skills, interpersonal and group facilitation skills.
❖ Experience with social media and written communication.
❖ Interest in learning and teaching new skills.
❖ Must be between 15 and 30 years of age
❖ Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred
❖ Must have a valid Social Insurance Number and be legally entitled to work
Deadline for Applications: May 8thth, 4:00 pm
Submit to: Community Connections Society
Attention: Tesha Head, Quality Assurance and Office Manager